ILM Level 5 Certificate in Coaching
Delivered near London, our ILM Level 5 Certificate in Coaching is for coaches that will be working with managers and leaders. This course can be taken
- as a standalone programme
- as the first year of our three-year programme of coaching courses (see our study options page for more information).
The central principles that underpin our ILM Level 5 Certificate in Coaching programme are that the advanced skills and behaviours implicit in being an executive coach cannot be developed at a single event. We believe that the opportunity to apply the skills in the real world - to review, learn and adapt - are essential to successful implementation of skills building programmes if they are to be sustained and fully embedded within the working patterns of our participants and their organisation.
It is for this reason that our programmes emphasise the need for coaching practise and include a heavy focus on experiential learning and feedback; they are composed of a number of separate but related events.
- In order to prepare participants for the programme and accreditation, clarify individual concerns and enable personal objectives to be set, each participant is briefed by one of the programme leaders. This involves attending a ‘virtual’ group session with participants.
- Each participant will be personally tutored throughout the programme.
- The ‘Foundation Coaching Skills’ workshop covers the core coaching topics in a variety of learning styles, introduces key concepts and provides a forum for discussing best practice and the critical conversations that need to take place between the participants, colleagues and those they are likely to coach in enabling them to learn, perform and enjoy their work.
- Each participant completes an Emotional Quotient Inventory Assessment to provide them with in-depth feedback on their emotional intelligence, a key component of effective coach development.
- The ‘Creating Insights’ and 'Advanced Coaching Skills' workshops build on the ‘Foundation Coaching Skills’ event to teach skills, techniques and models that develop the coaches’ ability to work in increasingly challenging situations. Each workshop combines elements of theory, practice and discussion about the practical implications of using the new skills and their application in a working context.
- Coaching practice: throughout the programme, participants are expected to identify and formally coach a set number of coachees away from the workshops. ILM Level 5 requires 12 hours of coaching practice.
- Co-Supervision / Buddies. After the first workshop we ask participants to form buddy relationships. This has two key purposes. Firstly, it creates a working relationship where a colleague can share their coaching experiences, develop and play with ideas and concepts, practice key coaching tools and problem solve. Secondly, as part of the course, participants are introduced to a simple supervision model which the buddy pairings then use formally to review their coaching practise with their practice clients. It is our experience that this enables participants to deepen their knowledge of applied learning and helps to introduce the value of supervision.
- Participants are required to use a “Reflective Learning Log” throughout the duration of the programme, which includes a variety of forms used to aid their learning, including self evaluation and feedback forms and coaching session reports, together with details of additional learning requirements. For certification they are required to produce 3 assignments of 2000-2500 words in length.
- All participants must pass a Practical Assessment of their coaching skill and ability at the end of the programme (days 6 and 7).
- Following the completion of the workshop element of the programme, each participants attends a post-programme virtual group session designed to help them embed their learning and their coaching experience, provide insight and guidance into the portfolio submission and to challenge and focus their ongoing development.
- Participants will also have access to our Learning Management System (LMS) which provides learners with access to our coaching demonstration videos, webinars, online discussion forums, resources, forms and information concerning the programme, e.g. joining instructions.
ILM Level 5 Certificate - Course outline
If you are interested in our ILM Level 5 certificate, contact us today for more information.